Thursday, June 3, 2010

Seventh Post: Pas de manger


If you would like to know my recommendations for Paris I can't give you anyway. However, if you would like to know what NOT to do, I'm becoming an expert at that topic. Here are some things I've learned about Paris thus far:

1)DON'T stay in random cities outside of the actual city. The money is worth it to stay where you know there's stuff to do and places to eat.

2)Know exactly which train station to get off of before you end up walking 3 miles to see a cemetery that's definitely not worth the trip. Research every stop along the line to make sure you have something else to do if the first idea is a bust.

3)Speak perfect French. Honestly, french teachers are liars. They say that the French people will be so nice to you if you at least try to speak their language. This is not true. I have had so many people be rude to me and simply say "Repetez?" or something to that extent when I can't understand exactly what they say because they speak ridiculously fast, even upon realizing that I very obviously am not a native speaker.

4)Be extremely wealthy. You can walk to train stations and places like that unless you're like me and have a HUGE bag. I had to take 3 taxis and I think so far I've paid 90-ish euros for them. Two out of the three taxi drivers were very sweet. The first one complemented me on my french speaking and asked me a bunch of questions about Tennessee and stuff. The second wouldn't speak to me. The third taxi driver was very nice also. He helped me talk to the receptionist at my new hotel and made sure that I knew when to come back to check in. I wish I could call those two guys all the time to drive me around.

Well that's what I've learned so far. I could tell you what I've eaten today but honestly it's not much. For breakfast I had a piece of salami, a piece of thinly cut ham, a cup of mango/apple sauce, 2 cups of coffee, a marinated salad of apricots and pears, and 2 cups of orange juice without pulp. I have discovered that the number one way to not eat is to get so frustrated with a place that you don't want to support their economy by buying food. Okay, it's not that bad. I'm just really really really really tired and ready to go back to bed. I have extreme jetlag, an empty stomach, and a bad attitude because the beginning of my trip was so awful. However, if I can find a good restaurant here or perhaps a bar or something of that nature I think I'll be fine. I did find a coke machine to ease my stomach, so again at least there's that.

Also!! I have noticed that, contrary to popular belief, a lot of French women wear tennis shoes! Maybe not New Balances or anything like that but I've seen tons of Chuck Taylors, tons of Pumas, and a lot of various other types. People who say that European women never wear tennis shoes are liars!

Okay, I can't check into my hotel for another half an hour, but I'm going to pop over to my flickr site (www.flickr.com/skippertron) to post some pictures I took today and yesterday. I hope everyone is having a great day.

Also, I keep trying to add pictures to this blog but the internet is way too slow. I'll have to add pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment