Sunday, June 13, 2010

Le vallee de la Loire


Wow! It's been so long since I've posted, but I've just been so busy. Let's see, what happened after the last time I posted?

Oh! So the night after I posted the last one (Friday night?) I went out again to the same bar. That was fun, but the real fun starts the next morning.

So we were all supposed to meet down at ISA by 8 AM on Saturday morning. Kathryn and I BARELY made it, with about 5 minutes to spare. Anyway, we all hopped on a bus and headed to the Loire Valley. The bus ride was about 2.5 hours, but I was totally fine with that because I hadn't seen any green in Paris and I finally saw some in the countryside of France. Paris I suppose is just like any other big city, you have to go outside of it to find the pretty green places. Anyway, so we made it to the Loire Valley. When we got there we went to see this really tiny chateau called Chateau de Chenonceau. All that was left of it was one tower, this gigantic bridge, and these really lovely gardens. So we toured the area and ate lunch there, and after that we headed off to our surprise of the day: a wine tasting.

At the wine tasting we saw how this specific vineyard made their wine. We saw the vats, the fermentation processes, the bottling process, and all of these really nifty things about the actual process of making wine. Then we went down to this really cozy room and drank wine. We tried...ummmm I want to say 6 different kinds! To start we had a really sweet white, then a rose, 2 different reds, a drier white, and then finally a champagne. Wow! Everyone was really buzzed by the time we left there, and I was waaayyy to tired to go out to dinner so I just stayed in the room and went to sleep at about 10 while everyone else went out to the restaurant. I woke up at 3 AM and was ready to go, but I managed to go back to sleep until around 8 when we went downstairs to eat breakfast.

After breakfast we headed off to another chateau called Chateau Chambord. This was really fun! We toured the chateau (this one was much more complete than the other one) and then ate lunch at this little cafe. I had a really gross version of a Croque Monsieur and a few potato chips, and then I was ready to get on a bike and ride around the grounds. We had a huge group of people with us, but somehow I ended up with a motorized bicycle that was unlike anything I'd ever seen. It didn't have a motor you could rev, but rather one that was charged by how much I pedaled. So basically I had to do half the work of everyone else I went 3x as fast. That was really, really fun because we went through all these back trails and just had a really good ride. After that we had a cookie tasting. That was our surprise for the day. We tasted cookies that are made at this chateau, and everyone else had Kir, which is Chambord liqueur mixed with white wine. I stayed away from that because I was just not feeling like drinking any more wine. We did have some really unique cookies though, but sadly I only liked one of them.

Finally we all made it back to Paris and Kathryn and I have started on our quest to finish all of our homework and study for our super hard quiz in the morning. I hope I can get all of this done!

No comments:

Post a Comment