Sunday, June 6, 2010

Rice Salad, mmmm!


So last night was cool. After my roommate Kathryn arrived, we sat around and talked for awhile and then Mme Dugan came in to lay down the rules and things of that nature. Her rules are similar to the rules at my parents' house: no food/beverages in the room, pick up after yourself, don't leave clothes laying on the floor, and don't drink too much. Haha. Okay so the last rule wasn't exactly a rule at my parents' house, but it makes sense. Mme Dugan said she had two girls before Kathryn and me who left tons and tons of wine bottles around the room...she said they would drink 5 a week! I mean, I've definitely done that before but honestly I would feel so crappy all of the time that I would never be able to do anything during the day. I mean how did they make it to class?

Oh anyway! After the rules had been laid down and things like that she started making dinner. I'm relieved that her and her son eat earlier than a lot of people because sometimes I've heard that the French eat around 9 or 10 at night! But she said that she will have dinner ready for us around 7:30 every night. Anyway! The dinner! I would love to figure out how to replicate this, but I have zero ideas about what her homemade dressing was. Anyway, here is it: rice, corn, tomatoes, crab meat, lots of seasonings and a homemade dressing. She mixed the crab, corn, tomatoes, corn and seasonings all together and allowed us to pour the dressing at our own leisure. I'll have to say that even though I don't like tomatoes, I ate them when they were mixed with everything and this was an amazing salad! I never thought of using rice in a chilled salad like that, because usually in America we use a short pasta, but she used rice. I'm going to for sure do something like this for Colin and myself when I return.

So today I have to travel with my roommate to the ISA office for our orientation where I will finally get to see the other french students and my favorite professor: John Romeiser. After that we will be going on a bus tour of Paris and believe me I will take tons of pictures and post them all as soon as I possibly can.

Oh, mom, one thing you'll like. Kathryn doesn't drink. She said she's willing to try stuff but she doesn't like wine and she's not really a big drinker anyway so she's going to play DW (Designated Walker) if I get too drunk. Which I shouldn't, but it's a nice thought that someone will be there with me if I do.

Bonne journee mes amis!

No comments:

Post a Comment