Thursday, June 2, 2011

Paris=busiest city ever.


Today was insanity.

And now I'll tell you about it.

We started off this morning waking up and RACING down to the Catacombs to try to get there early to avoid lines. So we get off the metro station, no real problems (besides my directing us the wrong way down the line...no big deal since the original line took us straight there anyway) until we got to the door. CLOSED. For Ascension? SO ANNOYING! So basically my brother, dad, and I walked around that area, bought some bread and cheese, and then finally took the metro to meet Dr. Romeiser and our lunch group at l'Académie de la Biere. We ate very well. I had Moule a la moutard (mussels in a mustard cream sauce) and fries. SOOOO good. I had two beer cocktails that consisted of a French beer called Maës, champagne, and creme de cassis. They were very good.

After lunch, the family (with the addition of one of my french mates, Miranda) headed to the Louvre. We were there for about 3-4 hours, and managed to see everything from the Mona Lisa, to Nike of Samothrace, to "Atéla". It was an amazing time, but thoroughly exhausting. After the museum, we stopped at a café next to the Tuileries and had dessert and drinks. I just had water, because my insides felt like they were drying up from inhaling so much dust. Apparently most of France is suffering from a drought, and you can definitely tell in Paris because of all of the wind blowing the dust around.

Finally, we made it back to the apartment, and Mom, Jeremy and I headed to dinner. (My dad wasn't hungry). We walked down a couple of streets near our apartment, but finally decided upon a café that's right next to our arch. We had all kinds of stuff. I got cheesy mashed potatoes (they were mostly cheese) and a salad, my mom got a crazy salad, and Jeremy got a steak and fries...of course. So that was great.

Since we've been back at the apartment I had a short conversation with CJ, and then I sat down and planned our day tomorrow. I've got us booked to see the Catacombs in the morning, Notre Dame after that, then we'll visit fnac (a store) to buy our tickets for Versailles on Saturday, then to Montmartre, the Sacred Heart Cathedral, and maybe the Moulin Rouge. There's still so much stuff left to do in Paris! I know we'll never get to see it all, but I'm certainly going to try!

Anyway, I need to go to bed. We've got a long day tomorrow! I'll be posting to let you guys know how it went!

No comments:

Post a Comment