Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Thinkin'.

Posting during externship is proving to be difficult. Things aren't as variable as they are at school, and I've sortof fallen into the slump of every day life, having a 40-hour-per-week job, and trying to maintain everyday tasks like laundry and the kitchen. I feel a bit like a housewife, even though I work all the time. I've taken to making casseroles and desserts for the house, and on my days off I fill the fridge with food for the week. It's slightly depressing.

On top of that, I'm starting to re-evaluate my situation. I'm considering, now more than ever, not going back to school. I don't want anyone to be disappointed in me, or think that I'm a failure or a quitter, I'm just having some serious doubts about the direction my life is taking. I do not want to continue to pay an institution who does not value their students above the amount of money they are willing to put towards their education. Some of us are monetarily poor, but are rich in passion for cooking and life in general. We are the people who should be rewarded for our efforts, not those who can simply afford to take an expensive exam more times than the rest of us are allowed.

I'm still on the fence about this matter, and there is a much higher chance that I will swallow my pride and continue on with my schooling (especially after talking to my Dad), than stopping. Once I return, however, I will be playing a different game. I will suck every gram of information out of every chef I come across, just to ensure that I am receiving my money's worth. I'll also be concentrating a lot more on myself, and refusing to allow anyone to get in my way of success. I need to consider my peers, but I also need to think about how unfairly I feel I have been treated in this situation.

On a lighter note, the pastry chef I work under (Chef Aaron Russell) has been nominated for the James Beard Award of Outstanding Pastry Chef! I am so excited and honored to be able to work under such a talented guy. I'm proud of him and the entire staff of Restaurant Eugene for working hard to earn this prestigious title. Even if he is only nominated, and does not win the award, I'll at least know he deserves it! He really is awesome.

Anyway, I'll end this post with a few pictures and a promise to keep everyone informed about the decision I make regarding my schooling.

Persimmons! They're what happens when squash and butterscotch have a baby.

For Daniel's birthday we went to the zoo!

B'awwwww

My favorite picture of the expedition, and by far the creepiest.

Daniel with his birthday cheesecake :)

The Grapefruit dessert at work. Peanut and Pistachio Toffee, Grapefruit Segments, Green tea gel, Red wine Gastrique, and Saffron Foam.

Chef said I made a beautiful cheesecake plate the other day.

Salted Caramel Ganache, Cocoa Nib Tuile, Vanilla Foam.
Buenos noches! (That's right, I'm also teaching myself to speak Spanish.) ((BOOM.))

No comments:

Post a Comment