Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Oh, externship.

Well, I'm still surviving here in Atlanta. I'd like to say that everything is all fun and upbeat and exciting, but it just isn't. I'm still having a good time, but I'm in a rut. I'm bored. I know that patience and desire to master your craft are important parts of restaurant work, but it's so DULL. I've been plating the same desserts/cheese plates/whatever for only a week now, and I'm already ready for something new. I'm one of those people who requires constant stimulation, and it's definitely detrimental to many aspects of my life.

That's not me confessing that I picked the wrong career choice, by the way, it's just me realizing that wherever I end up needs to be more stimulating than the restaurant I'm at now. Also, don't get me wrong, I love Restaurant Eugene. It's a great establishment filled to the brim with really knowledgeable, talented people. It's just not my ideal location for a more permanent job. But then again, it isn't supposed to be.

I also might be bored because I have two days off at the beginning of each week, and Daniel works both days. I really just get stir crazy sitting in the house, but the only reason I can see to leave is to go somewhere and spend money that I just don't have. I think, if I can make some good friends down here, that I'll feel better. I hung out with my old friends Chris and Kendall last week, and that was really fun, but I don't want to make my boredom a constant bother to them as well. Not that they would think that way, but I feel weird calling them and intruding on their plans every week.

So to conclude this boring day, I will continue to be bored. I've got a few little things I can do around the house, but not enough to occupy my time for 6 more hours. We'll just see what happens.

P.S. NEVER live with three roommates. Just don't do it. I have been the only person to empty the dishwasher, refill it, clean the kitchen, vacuum the floors, and take out the trash since we moved in. Daniel helps sometimes, but for whatever reason I just end up stuck doing all of the chores. Case in point: the trash is full. Instead of someone taking the old bag to the larger trashcan outside, there is now a Taco Bell bag (of all types of bags...) accumulating rubbish right beside the full can. WHY?! I have also remained in my room for nearly the entire day, in an attempt to avoid cleaning the kitchen. I spent at least two hours yesterday (YESTERDAY) making sure everything was spick n span, but now there are piles of dishes in both sink compartments, just because everyone else is too lazy to empty the dishwasher. Warning: I can be more stubborn that anyone else, even if it causes me physical pain. And if that doesn't work, I am not above resorting to passive aggression. Sorry I'm not sorry.

I don't have many pictures to upload, but here are a few I took recently.

Crazy tornado hit near Atlanta...so much rain.

Sweet Potato Eclair dessert.

Not even half of the macarons I made in one day...

Close-up of the dessert. The eclair is resting on a toasted pecan streusel, and the brown quenelle is rum ganache. Right before we send it out, we drizzle it with a curry sauce.

The line guys were so excited about these fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment