Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Vay-Kay.

You guys, I am so excited.

I am very fortunate, for the moment, because my parents live only 5 hours away. There's no telling if this phenomenon will repeat itself anytime during my adult life; so I'm trying to take full advantage of it. To adhere to this policy of full-advantage-taking, Daniel and I are headed down to the sunshine state on Thursday to visit them until Sunday! I'm very excited. I've already informed them that I will be clearing out the oyster supply in Jacksonville, and that the Maker's Mark factory better start sending more bottles down that way because I'll surely be making an impact on their stock as well.

It will be nice to get away from Atlanta for a few days, and finally be surrounded by people who will talk to me without it being either forced or required by our co-worker status. It's weird to think that people, somewhere out there, care about what I have to say! Maybe, if I'm lucky enough, they won't pretend to use a microplane to mutilate their ears every time I speak! Maybe they'll call me by my real name instead of "extern", "girl", "devil girl", or any of the other (much more obscene) nicknames that my kitchen comrades have concocted for me. (It may sound like I'm joking about all of this, but I'm actually not. I'm stoked to have a legitimate conversation with my family, who cares about me and what I'm talking about.)

I'm also excited to report that the new Miyazaki movie, "From Up on Poppy Hill", is coming to Atlanta on April 19th, and that I will be at the Atlantic Station Regal Cinemas at midnight on the 18th to see it! If anyone is close to Atlanta at that point and wants to come see it with me...I would love to have a group of Miyazaki nerds to watch it with!

Picture of the movie poster.
Recently I've been considering what I would like to do with my life after graduation. I've always joked about moving to Canada if this country can't get things straight (or maybe a little LESS straight...), but now I'm kindof seriously considering it. I looked up the citizenship process and it isn't that difficult: you have to speak either French or English (I am fluent in both), you can't be a criminal (I'm not...), you have to be 18, and you have to live in their country for 3 years. I figured I could get a permanent work Visa and then apply later on if I love it as much as I think I'm going to. I don't know for sure yet, and I have to discuss it with Daniel, but it's slowly becoming a real option for my future.

So today I got called off of work because we had 11 covers on the reservation book for this evening. Aaron said they just didn't need a second person to come in. SO, I did a few thing to cheer myself up. I went to Lenox Square mall with Daniel where I purchased a few things from Forever 21, a Starbucks coffee, and a Subway sandwich. It's been so long since I've bought clothes for myself, and walking out of a store with a bag of things for ME to wear that are actually CUTE...it's just such a nice feeling. I'm pretty sure I'm out of spending money for the month, but the stuff I got was actually really needed. I am now the proud owner of three pairs of jeans! Woot! I'm like a real female now!

Now, to conclude, here are some pictures.

Macarons with a raspberry fennel ganache filling. 
Chef tasting dessert: Celery Ganache, Matcha Apples, Pâte a choux, Toasted Buttermilk, and Almonds.

Passion Fruit Pâte a Fruit.

Recently-baked violet creme brulées.

Working on a Kugelhopf for one of my besties! (Rather ineffectively, I might add.) 

And then I'm weird again.
I'll post pictures from our trip when we return! I hope everyone has a great week/weekend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment