Monday, February 24, 2014

All is Well.

It's been over a week since I first walked in to King + Duke in Atlanta. Tonight will be my 6th shift in a row without a day off, and while I'm ready for a day to myself, I am also very happy with my position. I thought, by now, I would be raging and foaming at the mouth because I've been working for almost a week straight, but I'm not. I'm HAPPY. I have never worked in a restaurant where everyone is happy. There is not one sour face in that place! Everyone wants to be at work, and if they don't, at least they remain professional and put on a good smile for their entire shift. It's amazing.

Now, no place is perfect. I have, during my time at King + Duke, spent about half of my time plating desserts, and the other half washing dishes. For whatever reason, we only have one dishwasher when we are supposed to have AT LEAST two. I think the ideal amount is four, but nothing is ever ideal. I have stayed at work for several nights until around 1:00 AM washing dishes with the rest of the line, but let me tell you, even when we get done serving 300+ people and we step off the line to wash dishes, we are all still laughing and joking around. It's not even a bad time when we're having to bust our asses to clean up a station that is not ours. I am so surprised with everyone's attitude at this place, and I hope it lasts.

Also, we do SO MANY COVERS. (A cover=a guest). On Saturday, the first time I was by myself for more than a few minutes, we did 400+ covers and made $24,000. We were only open from 5:30-11 PM. I am not kidding when I tell you that I have only ever been that busy a few times in my life, and I have chosen not to remember them. The most people I ever plated for at Restaurant Eugene was around 120, so I stepped into a situation where I'm plating for 3x that many! However, I hope you guys don't think I'm complaining. This is the exact opposite of that, actually. I am so proud and excited to be a part of this restaurant group. People love our food and our service, and I am so stoked to be providing them with awesome desserts to finish off their time in the restaurant.

Things at home are great as well. Daniel and I are LOVING our new apartment, we don't have any complaints so far. Any time we have had a problem, maintenance comes right over to fix it. For example, when we moved in, our dishwasher was busted. I called the office manager and he put an order in. The maintenance men came to check it out the next day, and ordered the new appliance as soon as they left. We just had it installed a few days ago, and it is awesome. Speaking of appliances, my dad also drove up from Jacksonville to deliver our washer and dryer! He also installed it, and saved us a lot of time and effort. Our house is becoming a home!

So, to conclude, everything is awesome. I am so excited and happy about my decision to come back to Atlanta, and I hope that my enthusiasm for this place continues to build as time passes. I hope all of my readers get a chance to come visit me, if they can. I would love to have some guests to show around! Much love, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment