Monday, November 19, 2012

Basic and Classical Cakes

For the past week, I have been in Basic and Classical Cakes class with Chef Dieter Schorner. Seriously, you guys should look him up. This man is a legend.

He's taught us all kinds of things, and I am kindof smitten with his extremely traditional methods. I never thought I would say that, but there's something to be said about a man who has so much pride in his roots that he feels no need to change their techniques. I am very fortunate to have him as a chef, because in a few weeks he is moving to Singapore to teach at the CIA's newest campus. He's 75 years old, by the way. He has no intentions of slowing down, regardless of how old he gets.

Other than this class, life is ridiculous. I'm still consistently very depressed because of the whole externship situation, and it's starting to affect my daily attitude about life. However, I sent out five new resumes today, and even though I have no hope that anyone will get back to me, I'm still putting myself out there.

There is some good news though, I got a new job! I started last night at a local Italian restaurant (this seems to be a theme in my life, btw) called Amici's. I've eaten there a few times before and have loved it every time. The last time I ate there, the server was discussing the poor quality of his coworkers, and I  jokingly told him that I would take their job. He laughed and then told me to send in my resume. A few days later I got a call: I was to start work on Sunday. So now I will be consistently working Sundays, and hopefully a few Saturdays. I'm excited to have a job I don't hate, that will give me a little bit of money to start paying off the interest on my student loans.

So now here's everyone's favorite part: the pictures of my food.

Pithivier- an almond cream-filled puff pastry cake. 

The whole cake.



Caramel Walnut Tart. DELICIOUS.



Sliced tart with a whipped cream quenelle.

Sliced pithivier with a whipped cream quenelle.

I didn't make this one, but it was beautiful! Macadamia nut, caramel, and ganache tart.

I didn't make this one either, but it's an apple frangipane tart.


Pâte a choux!

Piping homework with help from Chef Schorner,

Eclairs with a fondant glaze.


The darker one is a chocolate kahlua glaze.


Chef's perfect ladyfingers.


Genoise Sponge.

The best one I've done so far, but it's still not perfect.

Baby carrot garnishes for carrot cake.

Carrot cake!

Mmmmmm.....

My last piping homework.

Traditional Charlotte.

Such a pretty cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment