Friday, September 21, 2012

Reevaluating.

This was supposed to be an easy week for me. I'm finished with Gastronomy, Nutrition, and BIET, so I'm left with only BPT (kitchen class) and First-Year Seminar. I had all day yesterday off, and I wanted to use it to figure out my life. I made a to-do list, which included going for groceries, talking to financial aid about the tuition increase, and talking to the housing office, among other things.

Things got a little bit more complicated than I had planned when I went to financial aid. I ended up sitting down and talking to a financial aid counselor because for WHATEVER reason, the school had not bundled my private loan with the minimal government aid I receive. Basically what ended up happening is that I was told that I will be receiving about half of the refund money that I got in July. I'm now expected to live off of $2,100 for nearly 8 months, as I won't be getting much (if any) aid during my externship. As you can imagine, I was/am livid. COOL. I don't understand why people who pursue their dreams continually get the short stick.

What did I do after hearing this news? I got a job. I went right down the road, applied to be a server at Eveready, and was hired on the spot. I know how to pull myself out of a rut. I can thank my parents for that skill.

What it comes down to: is it worth it? Is being broke, frustrated, constantly over-tired, and continually on the brink of sickness worth pursuing this career path? The answer for me is yes. Yes. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. I simply cannot imagine doing anything else. For every one time I have felt confused, insecure, or unhappy, I have felt inspired and full of life 1,000 times. This school is full of people with the same glimmer in their eye. That glimmer? Passion. Passion for food, life, experiences, travel, and creativity. I thrive here, I have finally found my niche. As far as I'm concerned, this school is the ultimate stepping stone up to the pinnacle of my happiness.

So, CIA, throw everything you can at me. I may break down momentarily, I may cry more here than I ever did at UT, but I will not give up. I love it here, and no money problem can lead me astray. I've found my people, and I won't leave them easily.


No comments:

Post a Comment