Friday, June 1, 2012

Oh the Woes of Culinary School

WELL. Never have I ever spent so much time strategically placing bobby pins in my hair. Never have I ever wanted to bake SO badly. Never have I ever had to walk almost a mile every day just to drive 2 minutes up the road. Never have I ever been prohibited from playing Never Have I Ever.

This is my first week at The Culinary Institute of America (will later be addressed exclusively as the CIA), and I am OVER the orientation process. We've been sitting in classrooms, so frustratingly close to our beloved Kitchen Aid and Hobart mixers, the messy flours, the sugar, the chocolate chips...and all of us are getting a litte stir crazy. The number of bouncing legs has increased from just mine (driven primarily by anxiety) to about 75% of the class who just cannot wait to feel that lovely dough in between their fingers; or to laugh about the amount of chocolate covering our coats; or to taste the sweet rewards of our labor, whatever they may be. WE ALL JUST WANT TO BAKE SOMETHING.

Besides the increasing anxiety of my classmates (and myself), we have all been having a fabulous time. It's apparent that all of us are at least slightly shell shocked about the caliber of the chefs that we will be working under for the next two years. I mean, most of our instructors have also written the books for the classes that they are leading. That's insane. They have also owned, founded, or at least played a a major role in the day-to-day operations of a great number of the most world-renowned restaurants EVER. WOAH. We're all beyond stoked to meet all of these prestigious chefs.

Also, I need to get on a gym schedule. For real. It will start tomorrow, as I have nothing to do and no classes. That's a lie. I have TONS of things to do. I just don't have any classes. Must make the gym a priority...must make the gym a priority...ugh.

Will post soon!
(Well, as soon as the chefs give me a few minutes to myself...)

No comments:

Post a Comment