Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Catch-Up

I wanted to start with, "As you all might know, it is past my bedtime..."

But that's no longer true, none of you know what's going on with my life because I am simply too busy to maintain this blog. I'm going to try to do better with it, however, because I want to be able to look back at it to reminisce as much as you guys want to know that I haven't perished in the ovens of my bakeshops.

Since I got back from externship, I have:
- moved into an apartment with my boyfriend
- completed my first Cakes class with Chef Cavotti
- completed Chocolates and Confections with Chef Peter Greweling
- begun Contemporary Cakes with Chef Rossomando

To begin, I will discuss our apartment situation. When we first moved here, our apartment predicament was tragic, at best. Now we live in a decent place with a great landlord. We might live in a really terrible part of town, but all of our appliances are new, our hardwood floors had never been lived on, and we don't pay an exorbitant amount of rent. All in all, we are happy with our place.

Cakes class was a blur. I took it as soon as I got back, and I loved it. Chef Cavotti is the most laid back chef in the entire school, so taking her class allowed for a lot of creative license. My partner Kara and I made a really amazing cake, and since then I have been recruited to make at least two wedding cakes. I couldn't be more excited to work on these projects.

Mine and Kara's Orchid Cake

My individual (obviously) cake project. Totoro!

Chocolates and Confections was the best class I have ever taken, throughout all of my college experiences. Chef Peter Greweling is a Certified Master Baker, and his title is well-deserved. He is not only intelligent, but that man matches and exceeds my level of cynicism in the most delightful way. I felt like I met a chef that I could communicate with, even after I was done with his class. In fact, I went back today to finish a project I had left to crystallize over the weekend, and he was nothing but welcoming and excited that I had actually come back to finish what I had started. I think, after taking his class, that I may want to pursue a career working with chocolate and creating confections. After this class, I see a light at the end of the tunnel. I have always loved chemistry, and with chocolates, I have finally found a way to work with science and food in the same field. I discussed a few places to apply to with Chef Greweling, and he said he would love to discuss other places with me if I found some to share with him. I was so fortunate to have him as a chef. Here are a few pictures of the things I made in his class!
Passion Vanillas

Coffee flavored Poodle Truffles

Pumpkin Caramel Truffles

Lemon Logs

Toasted Hazelnut Mazipan

Peanut Butter Meltaways

Cashew and Cardamom Turkish Delights

Sleeping Beauties AKA Milkyways
 
Mint Julep Shell Truffles

Looking rough at the Graduation Buffet
To conclude, I just want to apologize. I know that some of you (mostly my family) follow this blog quite closely, and that I have not been living up to my expectations. I will try to keep you more updated with the events in my life, and especially with the things that I am creating during my remaining time at the CIA. I am currently in Contemporary Cakes, and I will be able to post pictures of my products soon. 

As always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment