Saturday, October 20, 2012

That Sinking Feeling

I've been sick for a few days, so I've made sure to not do much more than lay around and watch movies today. I'm trying to get better ASAP.

In the midst of laying on Daniel's couch, crocheting a scarf for my friend Andrew, and listening to Beach House, I remembered something: I haven't heard anything back from Craigie on Main.

As all of you might remember, I have gone twice now to stage at a restaurant in Cambridge, MA called Craigie on Main. I was offered the externship position there in August when I first went, but wanted to check out other places before I committed to one location. I then went back and was told that the only factor that could prove problematic was the budget the restaurant had for payroll. This was the first time I had heard any hint of doubt in Jess's voice, but I left feeling positive.

Then I received a phone call from the chef's personal assistant last Sunday.

He said that Jess is having a baby and will be leaving Craigie during my time there. They're looking for something more permanent than an extern. They need someone who will be able to stay and take over Jess's position. He asked me when I graduated, and sounded genuinely disappointed when I said it wasn't until February of 2014. He said he would let me know by today whether or not I will be externing at Craigie, but I have yet to hear anything. I just sent him an email and am awaiting a phone call. Honestly, at this point, I don't have much hope. I've started sending resumes to other restaurants and bakeries, but am exceptionally disappointed that this deal I had with Craigie most likely won't pan out. I feel like this kind of thing happens to me frequently, and honestly it really gets me down. It's hard to hold your head up and have a positive attitude about things when people/opportunities/life keeps dealing you a terrible hand.

Anyway, as promised, here are the pictures from our last family meal in Cafe Savory.

Mary made bread!

Mac n cheese, steak sandwich, bruschetta, gyro, carnitas, and fried potatoes.

Savory cheesecake. It was just as weird as it sounds.

Kushari. Mine!

Plating the last meal.
So onward I go, adrift in a sea of uncertainty. I'm trying to reign in all of my options and go with my best bet, but I really hope something good happens soon. I hate feeling disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment