Saturday, March 19, 2011

New Casserole!

Hey everyone, it's been awhile. I need to begin posting more regularly if I want to have an accurate representation of the kind of stuff that I love to cook.

So this week has been spring break for me. I couldn't go to Savannah because it was too far of a drive and I couldn't get enough shifts off of work to justify the long drive. Instead, I decided to go with my boyfriend, CJ, to Nashville for a night to see his friends and family. Before I got there I wanted to make his family a gift for allowing me to stay at their house...so I made them a caramel pound cake. It was very tasty! It was basically your standard pound cake recipe, to which I added caramel coffee syrup...the kind that starts with a "T".

Then, while I was at his parents' house, I insisted on making dinner. For dinner we had chicken picatta served over capellini that was tossed with spinach, garlic, and olive oil. His mom also made a salad. My recipe for chicken picatta is really good, but I actually got a large majority of it from Giada de Laurentis from the food network. I'll post the recipe:
CHICKEN PICATTA
-2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
-salt and black pepper
-all-purpose flour, for dredging
-6 TBSP unsalted butter
-5 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
-1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
-1/2 cup chicken stock
-1/4 cup capers
-1/3 cup fresh parsley

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake of excess.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.

Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.

It's really not nearly hard enough to make a picatta sauce. I feel like it should be so difficult!

Anyway, the last thing I'll post for today is my recipe for tuna casserole (which is my lunch food for this week).
TUNA CASSEROLE
-2 cans tuna, drained
-2 cans cream of mushroom soup
-2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese
-2 cups of smashed up potato chips
-1 cup frozen green peas
-1 package of egg noodles
-1 (4.5 oz) can of sliced mushrooms

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Then, place a pot of water on the stove, wait until it is rapidly boiling, and add the egg noodles. Watch your egg noodles carefully, as it is very easy to overcook them. In a large bowl, mix soup, tuna, peas, 1 cup of cheese, and sliced mushrooms. When noodles are al dente, remove them from the pot and drain them. Afterwards, mix them with the tuna mixture. Then, grease a casserole pan and pour your casserole mix in. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese, and potato chips. Bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese on top is bubbly.

It makes a great, cheap meal for throughout the week.

Bonne semaine mes amis!

No comments:

Post a Comment